For those who missed it, John Oliver did a blistering +12 min piece on public education, standardized tests, and the Pearson Mafia. What makes the comedic send up both funny and alarming is his ability to simplify the complex psuedo-monopoly, that is the Common Core, even though state and federal officials continue to blindly adhere to it. If you haven’t watch it do yourself and all the local kids a favor and educate yourself on what public education is turning into. Then, share the link and call local, state, and federal officials to let them know how ridiculous the current system has become.
Michelle Rhee is one of my favorite characters in the school reform movement. Not necessarily her actions; as much, as her background and career. Young and energetic, she has become the face of the tough love reformers. It will take at least a generation to find out the overall aspects of her changes to the Beltway school district. I wonder what the Harlem Reform movement would think if she came to NYC.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Politics Lesson for D.C. Schools Chief Rhee? (blogs.wsj.com)
- Fenty’s Loss in D.C.: A Blow to Rhee’s Education Reform? (time.com)
- Teachers Unions vs. Education (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Is D.C. Education Reform in Peril? (abcnews.go.com)
- Is D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty’s Loss a National Defeat for Education Reform? (theroot.com)